How do you set scene units in Lens Studio and create experiences with real-world scale?

Options
Old Hara Studios
Old Hara Studios Posts: 1
edited February 2023 in Getting Started #1

Can't seem to find any documentation on how to specify units for a scene in Lens Studio. I found an old forum claiming that units are cm, but when creating a cube with a scale of 1 the size when I test the effect looks closer to 5inches than 1cm. It would make sense if the cube was at least 1 meter but it's way smaller than that.

In another test, moving a cube of scale 1,1,1 to a position of 0, 0.5, 0 seems to barely move the cube upward- I'd expect the cube to appear to sit on the floor plane. Are scale units different from position units? This is pretty confusing and I don't see any settings for changing this.

EDIT: After additional testing it seems like the default cube is not 1 unit in scale, which explains the discrepancies above. I'm still curious if there's a way to determine the actual scale in cm of objects in Lens Studio, even if they have been normalized to have a scale of 1,1,1 before importing. Without that ability, it's very difficult to make any model be exactly a specific height or even to eyeball it without going back to the original modeling software.

Answers

• Bakari Mustafa
    Bakari Mustafa Posts: 178 🔥🔥🔥
    Options

Lens Studio uses centimeters as its units for both scale and position. However, some 3D models may have been normalized to have a scale of 1,1,1 before importing, which means they may not match the actual size in centimeters. To determine the actual scale of an object in Lens Studio, you can try using a reference object with a known size (such as a cube with a scale of 10 cm) and compare it with your model. Alternatively, you can check the original size of your model in your 3D tool and adjust it accordingly before importing it to Lens Studio.

I hope this helps you with your project.😊

• علي العديم 🎖
    Options

great

• audun
    audun Posts: 302 🔥🔥🔥
    Options