PNG image not showing correct texture in Snap preview

Options

I'm currently using the cutout template, and I have a PNG image of a (white) cloud I'd like to use for the rare camera.

my problem is - the transparent texture of this png cloud image works just fine when I preview it inside of lens studio. However, when I pull it to Snapchat, the image texture becomes full white, like the file is read as an jpeg, or doesn't hold any texture. Does anyone know a solution for this? :smiley:

Best Answer

• stevenxu
    stevenxu Posts: 597 👻
    #2 Answer ✓
    Options

@maria lande lund Thanks for sharing! This looks like a bug from our side. We have an active internal ticket to resolve this. Please allow us some time. ty!

Answers

• stevenxu
    Options

@maria lande lund This should be resolved now. Please check when you get the chance. Ty for your patience.

• Xander Hoose
    Options

@stevenxu I don't think it is, unfortunately. With v4.22.1, creating a new project and doing nothing more than importing a transparent PNG image then publishing it as lens will still result in checkerboard in Snap Camera. The lens works fine on mobile (but it already did with v4.22.0).

Image 1
    Image 2

• Andrew Langdon
    Options

@stevenxu I'm running into this issue, with both PNGs and JPEGs. Lens works great in preview and on snapchat app, but renders the checkerboard in Snap Camera when using the lens's link to use in snap camera:

https://ibb.co/rkpnnnL
    https://ibb.co/92xWvJz

• maria lande lund
    Options

@stevenxu its fixed now for me, thank you!

• Drew
    Drew Posts: 3
    Options

@maria lande lund said:
    @stevenxu its fixed now for me, thank you!

did you do anything to update it and see it fixed?

• marieeve
    marieeve Posts: 7
    Options

@stevenxu I have a similar problem to "Xander Hoose" and "Andrew Langdon" here. The problem persists in Snap Camera (latest version) with all the lenses I upgraded recently with the latest version of Lens Studio (where they appear totally fine, and get approved once published). Not all textures or materials seem to be affected. Thanks in advance for helping!

• stevenxu
    Options

@marieeve @Drew @Andrew Deutsch @Xander Hoose Apologies for my delayed response! I'm not too familiar with the Snap Camera side yet (I presume you are talking about the Desktop?) and if you're still experiencing issues, please check this post by one of our team members to report and they will be able to get back to you via that channel.

I will try to ask my team members on this when I can. Ty for your patience again!

• marieeve
    Options

@stevenxu thanks for your support. Yes I work on my desktop and need Snap Camera to be able to display my lenses. The issues are not resolved yet. I upgraded to Lens Studio v.4.25 today, re-published and still the same problem. I went to your suggested post and tried resetting the material, then re-assigned them and re-published, all without a change at the end, the materials won't show in Snap Camera. In the Editor preview in Lens Studio, they show just fine. I really hope someone can debug this soon. I opened a case (Case #228433537) with the support team on July 8th last week, but no helpful answers since then. Thanks for keeping us updated!

• Coral Orca
    Options

Same problem here and there is no way to downgrade to previous lens studio versions. The lens I havent updated with the latest Lens Studio are still working fine. Please let us know if you find a fix, even if temporary. It seems that the texture where I have done UV mapping work, but not the other ones. here is my filter https://www.snapchat.com/unlock/?type=SNAPCODE&uuid=92c0b3f2fc094ab4a2469f4d3a4e2eb7&metadata=01

• marieeve
    Options

@Coral Orca said:

Same problem here and there is no way to downgrade to previous lens studio versions. The lens I havent updated with the latest Lens Studio are still working fine. Please let us know if you find a fix, even if temporary. It seems that the texture where I have done UV mapping work, but not the other ones. here is my filter https://www.snapchat.com/unlock/?type=SNAPCODE&uuid=92c0b3f2fc094ab4a2469f4d3a4e2eb7&metadata=01

Hi Coral, did you try to contact the technical support to make them aware of that? I guess if more requests reach them, they might put this higher in their priorities... I'm hoping at least :) I tried to work on the UVs to check if that could have an influence, but it didn't change a thing. Everything appears pink and black checkboard.

• marieeve
    Options

@stevenxu said:
    @marieeve @Drew @Andrew Deutsch @Xander Hoose Apologies for my delayed response! I'm not too familiar with the Snap Camera side yet (I presume you are talking about the Desktop?) and if you're still experiencing issues, please check this post by one of our team members to report and they will be able to get back to you via that channel.

I will try to ask my team members on this when I can. Ty for your patience again!

any news? and do you know why this discussion has been marked as 'answered'?

• Chunkeyninja
    Options

I am also having this issue with the desktop app for Snap Camera even after updating. Not sure if Snap Camera needs an update or something. In the meantime can we get a download for an older version of Lens Studio as a workaround perhaps?

• vi
    vi Posts: 2
    Options

same issue only with post effects as they technically use images.

Wasted hours looking up guides thinking I'm messing something up.

• Rex the Runt
    Rex the Runt Posts: 13 🔥
    Options

I'm having the same issue. I only changed one thing in a template, published it and it freezes in SnapCam. I would appreciate an update! 😫

• KreJaxx_YouTube
    Options

Im having this issue in 4.34